Monday, March 28, 2011

My second interview report

Preparation for my second Interview
     After my first interview, I felt that taking an interview from other countries was a challenge, but I believe we can do well on it, only if we try our best to do it. For my second interview, I had decided to make a better plan for it; I had already got some experiences from my first interview. For the second interview, I still chose the one named Sauyue Chung who came from Malaysia. She is my classmate from my CSCI169 (computer science) class. Actually I met her before, because I saw her dancing at Malaysia culture night last semester. We had a short conversation at that night. But it was lucky that we took the same class this semester. She was glad to have an interview with me. We made an appointment in library on March 21. After I made the appointment, I checked my question list again, and looked for more information about Malaysia; I tried to make my second interview much more completed and successful.  
Describing the interview
The flow of my second interview was really good. We had a good time during the interview. However, in some of my questions my interviewee got confused, besides, I had a little accent when I spoke English, so that I had to repeat some of my questions to make her understand.  Though sometimes she did not understand but when I made her understand she gave me the answer with full of information. Other than that everything went smoothly. The interview was really exciting and knowledgeable.  I really enjoyed asking questions and collecting more information about Malaysia. After I finished this one, I have made a great progress in my interview.
Report On Country

















Location
Malaysia is a federal constitutional monarchy in Southeast Asia. Kuala Lumpur is the capital. Malaysia is separated as West and East respectively by the South China Sea. It has a total landmass of 329,847 square kilometers. The peninsula land borders are shared with Thailand and northern one-third of the island of Borneo, Indonesia, Brunei, and south of Vietnam. Malaysia is quite closed to Singapore; they are connected by a causeway and a bridge.
History and Ethnic Groups
Malaysia was occupied by Great Britain and Japan. It was independent in 1957. Malaysia is a multi-ethnic and multi-cultural country. The ethnic groups include Malay which takes up 50.4 percent; the second one is Chinese, and it accounts for 23.7percent; then they are indigenous and Indian, occupy 11.0 percent and 7.1 percent respectively.
Religion
In Malaysia, 60.4% of people are Muslim, second one is Buddhist. There are few Christian and Hindu. As for the language, Bahasa Malaysia is the official one, then it includes English, Chinese (Cantonese, Mandarin, Hokkien, Hakka, Hainan, Foochow), Tamil, Telugu, Malayalam, Panjabi, Thai.
Economy
Malaysia is a relatively open state-oriented and newly industrialized market economy. The economy of Malaysia is the 3rd largest economy in Southeast Asia. Malaysia is attempting to achieve high-income status by 2020 and to move farther up the value-added production chain by attracting investments in Islamic finance, high technology industries, medical technology, and pharmaceuticals.
Holiday
Malaysia has many holidays. The most observed holiday is Hari Kebangsaan(independence Day). Other notable national holidays are Labour Day( 1 May) and King’s birthday (first Saturday of June). Muslim ’holiday Hari Raya Haji, Chinese New Year and so on.

Cuisine


















Malaysia's cuisine reflects the multi-ethnic makeup of its population. Many cultures have greatly influenced the cuisine, from within the country and surrounding regions. Much of the influence comes from Malay, Chinese, Indian, Thai, Javanese and Sumatran culture. Largely due to the country being part of the ancient spice route. The cuisine is very similar to that of Singapore and Brunei, and also bears resemblance to Filipino cuisine. The different states have varied dishes, and often the food in Malaysia is different from the original dishes. Rice is popular in many dishes. Chili is commonly found in local cuisine, although this does not necessarily make them spicy.



References
a.       ^ "Malaysian Flag and Coat of Arms". Malaysia.gov.my.
d.      ^ a b "No.10760: Agreement relating to Malaysia" (pdf). United Nations Treaty Collection. United Nations. July 1963. http://untreaty.un.org/unts/1_60000/21/36/00041791.pdf. Retrieved 2010-07-29



Transcript Of the Interview
Interviewer: Yingying Nan
English 191
Interviewee: Sauyue Chung
Interviewee’s country of origin: Malaysia
Interview date: March 21th, 2011
Interview Location: Library


Me: Hello Sau, How are you?
Sau: I am pretty good.
Me: I am so glad that you can come to take this interview. I know you are a busy person.
Sau: Hah, but I am free now. I have already done my work today.
Me: Oh, I see. But how is your working in Garvey now? I heard that it was very hard and tired.
Sau: Yep, it is kind of tired. But once we used to do that job, we will be much better. I just do some cleaning there. And I only have to work for 6 hours each week, so I don’t feel quite tired.
Me: Yes, 6 hours are good enough for you. Because you are taking 17 credits this semester, you still have to take time for studying.
Sau: Yes, you are right. I will do well on both of them.
Me: I believe you can do that. Now I am going to ask you some questions. When did you come to SCSU?
Sau: I came to here in fall semester 2009, so this is my second year and fourth semester here.
Me: Wow, it is the same time as me. But we didn’t know each other until last semester.
Sau: Yes, I know. Because I like to stay at my apartment, I didn’t attend many activities last year.
Me: You have to go out to attend activities and make more friends.
Sau: Yes, I did. And I made many friends now.
Me: It is great! So do you like here?
Sau: I like here. I like the snow. I never see the snow before I came to here. We all know that Malaysia is a tropical rainy climate country. It is with high temperatures and high humidty throughout the year. And at the first time when I saw the snow falling down from the sky I felt so peaceful. It is beautiful~
Me: Hah, you will be unlike snow if you stay here for 4 years.
Sau: Many people told me the same one, hah~~I don’t know, at least I am still enjoying the snow now.
Me: Hah ~ that is great. Sau, I am going to ask you another question. Why did you decide to come to SCSU to study?
Sau: I heard this university from my cousin, he was graduated from here. Besides, I know SCSU’s tuition fee is much cheaper than other universities in America. And of course I like the snow here. Hah~~
Me: Hah~ so who takes care of your finances for studying here?
Sau: My parents. My dad is working in a bank, and my mom is working in a foreign-trade company. They really want me to study abroad and get more knowledge.
Me: Yes, I know. My parents also told me the same ways. Sau, do you have any brothers or sisters?
Sau: Yes, I have an older brother; he has been worked for many years, he is older than me 6 years. So my family only need to support one child’s studying now, they have enough money to support my tuition fee in America.
Me: We are almost the same. I have an older sister; she got married 3 years ago. And my parents only support my studying. Sau, what do you miss most in your country?
Sau: My family, and my friends. I really miss them. Besides, the FOOD!!!
Me: I see. I really miss food, too. I dreamt Chinese food many times in my dream. There are many snacks in China.
Sau: I know, wow, we have to stop thinking of the food now, it makes me really want to go back to eat the delicious food now. Hah~~
Me: Hah, it makes me hungry now. So you don’t like American food, do you?
Sau: Not really. I like the hot dish and the dessert. My friends said the dessert was too sweet. While at the beginning I felt it was so sweet, but I used to eat it. As for me, I liked sweet dessert when I was in Malaysia. So it is ok for me.
Me: What a kind of dessert do you like?
Sau: I like pumpkin pie, cheese cakes and cookies.
Me: I like cheese cakes, too. Last month my friend celebrated his birthday, he brought a cheese cake, and it was so yummy. 
Sau: You make me really hungry now. Hah~~
Me: Hah~~It is okay. I will buy one for you next time. I know where we can buy it. Sau, what is the most interesting thing you have experienced since you come to SCSU?
Sau: Hmm, I think it is the skiing. Last month the International Studies Center had the cultural trip. They decided to go skiing. Since I never have chance to go skiing when I was in my country. So I signed up and went skiing.
Me: So how was your skiing last time?
Sau: It was fun, I had a great time. Hah~~ Even though I fell down many times, and I felt pain next day, but it was worthy. At the beginning of skiing, I was really scared. I was too afraid to slide down. At last, I mustered up my courage. Each time when I slide down I fell down, but I was happy. We got a lot of fun.
Me: Wow, it sounds great. Hah~ Now you know how to ski.
Sau: Yes, I am. Hah~~after I experienced many times of tumble, finally I learned how to handled it.
Me: Hah. Sau, how difficult for you to learn English?
Sau: I speak English when I was 5 years old. Because my mom is working in foreign-trade Company, she speaks English every day. So she spoke English to me when I was a little girl. But I had the local accent.
Me: Your English is very well. Your pronunciation is accurate.
Sau: Thank you.
Me: I should give thanks to you. I am so appreciating that you taking time for my interview.
Sau: You are welcome. I am glad to talk with you. Hah~~





No comments:

Post a Comment